WHAT IS ADRENAL FATIGUE?
Adrenal fatigue is increasingly common in today’s society where our lives appear to be based around working to achieve deadlines both at home and at work and such effort almost always bring a level of stress along with it. This coupled with a diet high in refined sugar and fat, foods which we believe help us to cope with the stress but actually have the opposite effect, can leave the body feeling exhausted and unable to cope.
What are the symptoms?
• Experiencing a high level of fatigue during the day
• Difficulty getting up in the morning despite a good night’s sleep
• An inability to deal with stress – even the smallest problem sends you into a panic
• A craving for sweet foods
• A tendency to pick up colds on a regular basis
• Having an energy peak in the evening rather than during the day when you need it.
What is actually happening in my body?
The adrenals are two small glands that sit just on top of the kidneys and their main function is to keep cortisol and adrenaline (two major stress hormones) in check. An episode of acute stress or prolonged, chronic stress can cause the adrenal glands to become overloaded and therefore ineffective which leaves you feeling exhausted and, often, unable to cope with daily life.
What can I do about it?
Diet and lifestyle plays a huge role in supporting the adrenal glands and the correct nutritional approach can reverse adrenal fatigue. We can provide you with a personalised diet and supplement regime to get you back on track.
Is there a way to test my hormone levels?
We also offer a test (saliva) which can determine the precise levels of cortisol in the body over a 24 hour period, which in turn can help determine the most effective way back to optimum health.